Every day, Appear is delivering high-valued broadcast content all over the world. Appear delivers innovative, end-to-end media hardware, software and processing solutions to customers in more than 180 countries, including the top broadcast facilities and the most technologically advanced sports, live-event venues and pay-tv operators.
Headquartered in Oslo, Norway, Appear has been delivering solutions to the largest brands across the globe since 2004.
- This is a full-time North American role based in the greater Los Angeles area reporting daily to Appear’s Burbank center of excellence location.
- The primary responsibility of the Professional Service Engineer is to provide remote support and on-site services to Appear’s North American customers.
- Technology and application technical support for contribution, distribution, media processing, combined with control interface support for NMOS and various 3rd party control interfaces, on-premises and cloud based – native and virtualized solutions.
- On-site support includes technical installation and operation of equipment, basic operational and maintenance training and troubleshooting and effective problem resolution.
- This position requires on roster and sometimes, after-hours on-call phone support.
- Travel expected 10-15%
The ideal candidate is a technology-savvy individual with a deep understanding of the technology ecosystem in our key Broadcast & Telco applications. You will have a positive service-minded attitude, an eagerness to work with a highly skilled team capable of taking ownership and responsibility of technical issues. As such, you are the trusted technical advisor to our customers and often the main point of contact in a timeline critical environment, so must work well under pressure and have clear, precise communication skills.
Technical Support, Remote/Onsite Commissioning, & Training
- Provide troubleshooting, problem replication of Appear’s product solutions in US & Canada
- Provide resolution to customer issues
- Produce simulations of customer reported issues and test various options to resolve the issue
- Work with Appear product development and tier 3 support for problem escalation, reporting, and resolution
- Work extensively with Appear US’ lab and test equipment for continuous growth in supporting customer applications.
- Arrange for module exchange or arrange for repair of customer product
- Enter service calls into CRM system accurately
- Provide on-site and/or remote commissioning
- Deliver operation and maintenance training to customers
- Relevant higher education, to a minimum BSc preferred
- 3+ years of proven work experience as a support / system technical engineer
- Expert knowledge and hands-on experience with compression for contribution, OTT, and distribution applications
- Demonstrate expert knowledge of the technical broadcast market with focus on Audio/Video/Metadata compression processing in ST2110 and compression formats.
- Familiarity with SSH, Switch and OS IP configuration @ layer 2 and 3
- Experience with SDN/Orchestration systems, use of API’s & control interfaces within the broadcast market (NMOS, REST)
- 2+ years of experience in IP Network engineering role
- 2+ years of experience and/or certification on IP switch fabric
- AWS/GCP/Azure application and interface experience or certification is preferred
- Spanish and English speaking is preferred
Appear US offers a competitive salary and variable compensation, a comprehensive benefits package, 401K retirement program, FSA and health wellness programs.