Appear is a leading provider of media processing and delivery technology. Headquartered in Oslo, Norway and with customers in over 100 countries, Appear provides the backbone that production companies, telcos, and broadcasters trust to make immersive live experiences possible for their viewers. With world-class products and expertise, Appear’s focus on modularity, efficiency and high quality helps customers stay ahead of competition in a market where expectations and requirements are constantly changing and evolving.
As a part of our scale up process, we are looking for a Video Compression Technologist for Appear. As a member of the CTO office, you will play a highly strategic role in researching, evaluating and selecting our video compression technologies options. You will work closely with key stakeholders from the Product Owner team, Product Strategy team and Engineering teams, with a mindset of taking Appear’s existing and future product and services to the next level.
You have a positive attitude and an eagerness to work with highly skilled and experienced cross-functional engineering teams. You have a solid understanding of video compression technology and video codecs, and hands-on experience from evaluating video codec quality. Ideally you have a proven track record from the TV broadcast or streaming industry.
- Master’s degree in computer science, information technology, or other relevant fields
- 5+ years of experience in the broadcast video domain
- In-depth knowledge of broadcast video compression technologies and standards
- Hands-on approach to evaluating video compression technology
- Theoretical and practical understanding of video compression quality measurements
- Good general knowledge of technologies for real time video compression
- Updated on current trends in video compression topics
- Passionate about technological transformations, with a focus on continuous improvement
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written) and fluency in English is required
- Bridge the gaps between complex business problems and solutions leveraging video compression
- Inform and promote how new compression technology can be used to drive our business development and future product strategy
- Participate in maintaining thought leadership and technical strategy across our video product portfolio
- Evaluate video compression technologies and advice the CTO, Product Owners and Product Strategy team on our technology options
- Promote and ensure ownership of technology choices with all stakeholders, including development teams
- Research and develop solutions and architectures for new products and services
- Advice engineering teams on compression technology, best practices and architectures for video compression
- Support internal departments and customers as the primary video compression specialist
- Work with third party video compression technology vendors
- Participate in industry forums to promote Appear’s interests
Working at Appear
We’re an informal organization with a lot of positive energy and an inclusive environment. Here at Appear you will benefit from the entrepreneurial vigor of a medium-sized organization while working closely with decision makers and customers, as well as working with world class, cutting-edge technology.