Appear is a leading equipment provider of media processing and delivery technology solutions to Broadcast, Media & Telecom Operators globally. Headquartered in Oslo, Norway with customers in over 100 countries, Appear provides the backbone that production companies, telcos and broadcasters trust to make immersive live experiences possible for their viewers. With world-class products and expertise.
We are looking for a highly skilled and client minded Senior Support Engineer to be located in our UK, Southampton office to strengthen our presence in UK, Ireland and APAC. We are looking for individuals with superior technical understanding in our industry, combined with good communication skills. Competence and ability to work closely with our customers, resolving complex technical issues efficiently and expediently to ensure we meet our service commitments.
The ideal candidate is a technology-savvy individual with a deep understanding of the technology ecosystem in our key Telecom & Broadcast applications. You will have a positive service-minded attitude, an eagerness to work with a highly skilled team capable of taking ownership and responsibility of technical issues. As such, you are the trusted technical advisor to our customers and often the main point of contact in a timeline critical environment, so must work well under pressure and have clear, precise communication skills.
- Supporting current and future deployed HW and SW based contribution, distribution, ABR video solutions deployed worldwide
- Work with a Helpdesk, ticket-based support system
- 2nd and 3rd line support, undertake deep debug investigations
- Work closely with the R&D team leads to resolve reported issues
- Carry out remote configuration, maintenance and diagnostics
- Participate in the 24/7 technical support response service function
- On-site system installation, configuration and testing
- Attend client sites, trade shows and exhibitions as required
- Engage with clients remotely & face to face on all Technical Support matters primarily in the UK & occasionally Internationally.
- Present support services performance metric reviews to SLA level clients
Qualifications & Experience
- Relevant higher education, to a minimum BSc preferred
- 5+ years of proven work experience as a support / system technical engineer/manager.
- Strong problem-solving skills with the ability to understand technical and complex video delivery challenges
- Demonstrate a good technical understanding of the business and the wider industry
- In-depth understanding of the following topics:
- Digital video contribution, distribution & Streaming network design
- Video and audio compression formats, and MPEG TS Transport
- Understanding of compression principles for lossy and lossless codecs
- ABR streaming protocols and architecture
- Network TCP/IP technologies, networks architecture & protocols
- Linux operating systems (specifically embedded systems)
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills in English; additional language skills an advantage with good presentation skills
- Positive client internal team attitude; puts the customer first
We provide carrier-grade solutions that enable broadcasters and operators to deliver professional quality TV and video services to home, hospitality and mobile markets. Our equipment ensures reliable video services to millions of households at the highest quality in the most demanding premium content environments including many world class events. Our customers are Production companies, Telecoms, Broadcasters and OTT/IPTV/Cable/Satellite operators who expect a high level of quality and technical expertise from their technology enablers.
Working at Appear
We’re an informal organization with a lot of positive energy and an inclusive environment. Here at Appear you will benefit from the entrepreneurial vigor of a medium-sized organization while working closely with decision makers and customers, all while working with world class cutting-edge technology.